The purpose of this assessment task is to demonstrate your understanding of critical appraisal of the literature. You will need this skill to evaluate best evidence for practice in Nursing.
This assessment requires you to write an critical review in academic essay format. You must select one paper from the two listed below. The information provided in sessions will guide your approach to this assessment.
To get started on your assessment task, please follow the below instructions:
You should follow the format of an academic essay and use well-structured headings. Please use the following headings and refer to the matching CASP guide (qualitative or quantitative) that you have been given in class. Suggested headings include:
- The research problem and its significance
- The research design
- The research methods
- Findings and their relevance to contemporary nursing policy and practice
It is important you refresh your learning about academic essay writing and refer to the marking guide (assessment rubric). A range of resources to assist with Assessment 2 have been provided in VU collaborate.
There should be clear evidence of critical analysis of the research not just a repetition of information.
Two papers are provided. Please choose only one.
Egestad, L.K., Gyldenvang, H.H., & Jarden, M. (2020). My husband has breast cancer: A qualitative study of experiences of female partners of men with breast cancer. Cancer Nursing, 43(5), p. 366-374.
Malmström, M., Ivarsson, B., Klefsgard, R., Persson, K., Jakobsson, U., & Johansson, J. (2016). The effect of a nurse led telephone supportive care programme on patients’ quality of life, received information and health care contacts after oesophageal cancer surgery—A six month RCT-follow-up study. International Journal of Nursing Studies, p. 86-95.
As per the rubric and the CASP guidelines, the critical appraisal assessment will be marked on the following areas:
- The research problem and its significance;
- The research design;
- The research methods;
- Findings and their relevance to contemporary nursing policy and practice;
- Critical analysis;
- Use of evidence;
- Grammar, spelling and punctuation;
- Sentence, paragraph structure and sequencing;
- Closing paragraph(s)/ conclusion;
- Sources and referencing.
For further details regarding the Assessment criteria see: Assessment 2 – Journal Article Critique Rubric. opens in new window
Students are referred to relevant Victoria University assessment policies. Especially note the VU policy regarding criteria for special consideration and the documents you need to provide to support your application for an extension.
Students should take account the following requirements:
- Essays submitted after 5 days will not be accepted or marked.
- Every essay is checked for plagiarism. Make and keep a full copy of all work submitted for assessment.
- This is an academic essay so dot points will not be accepted -i.e. use sentences.
- The essay should be written and presented in a scholarly manner
- Include a title page with your name.
- Include accurate and systematic in-text referencing and a bibliography using APA Referencing: The essay should have a Reference List
The word limit for the critical appraisal is 2000 words. There will be a 5% deduction for every 10% above or below the word limit.
There are serious penalties for late submission and word limit infractions. Refer to University policies on submission guidelines. Make and keep a full copy of all work submitted for assessment.
- Assignment status: Already Solved By Our Experts
- (USA, AUS, UK & CA PhD. Writers)
- CLICK HERE TO GET A PROFESSIONAL WRITER TO WORK ON THIS PAPER AND OTHER SIMILAR PAPERS, GET A NON PLAGIARIZED PAPER FROM OUR EXPERTS